In just under one month, Belleville will become the first ever North American host of an international floorball tournament. The Under-19 Women’s World Floorball Championships play out from May 4-8, 2016 at the Quinte Sports & Wellness Centre. As the 15 qualifying teams from around the world prepare to land in the Bay of Quinte region, we’re bringing you five quick facts about this up-and-coming sport.
1. Games run for 3 periods of 20 minutes with two 10 minute intermissions. Like hockey, floorball is a cardio-intense sport that involves lots of back and forth action.
2. Floorball is played 5 on 5, plus a goalie for each team. This makes for fast-paced games and gives players the opportunity to showcase their technical skills.
3. Floorball players wear jerseys, shorts and knee socks. There’s not much equipment on the court – just a good pair of shoes and a stick!
4. And speaking of sticks, the goalies don’t use them! Floorball goalies use only their bodies to keep the ball out of the cage.
5. The stick can only be used to play the ball. Floorball is a non-contact sport, so tripping and high sticking are not allowed.
Want to learn more? The International Floorball Federation is the premiere resource for all things related to the sport, and you can even check out highlights from previous world championships on their YouTube channel.