With a week left in August, there’s one thing running through many folks’ minds – back to school is looming, and it’s time to start getting ready. For students moving into the Bay of Quinte Region for the first time to attend Loyalist College, we’ve rounded up a few quintessential experiences (all easily accessible to students in Belleville) to help you get acquainted and start to feel at home in your new digs. Read on!
1) L’Auberge De France Belleville may not be a big city, but it does have its own must-go brunch spots on weekend mornings. Hop on a bus from campus that will take you right downtown to enjoy the strong coffee and fresh-from-the-oven croissants you’ve heard everyone buzzing about.
2) The Empire Theatre Film buffs rejoice! The Empire Theatre downtown plays host to plenty of live performances throughout the year (this summer’s lineup included Weezer and the Trews) as well as bringing in all the films you’ve been dying to see that just might not show up in big box theatres.
3) Belleville City Transit No car? No worries. The city transit buses stop directly outside Loyalist at multiple spots and will take you anywhere you need to go in the city, from the hospital to the Wal Mart. They also have special routes and hours for Sundays and holidays, so you’re never left without a ride.
4) Bourbon Street Pizza Co Late night studying? Bourbon Street Pizza Co. has the fuel you’re looking for. This downtown spot is great for a night out with friends, but also offers pickup and delivery at student-friendly prices. Bonus: This pizza place is super-focused on helping out with community initiatives like the United Way.
5) Burger Revolution You drooled over their episode of You Gotta Eat Here this past summer, and now you’re finally in Belleville! Burger Rev serves up some of the best burgers in the region, and it’s right here in your backyard. Got a craving for deep fried pickles or peanut butter on your burg? Your wildest dreams have been answered.
6) West Moira Orchards Grocery shopping is one of the first skills you’ll learn when you move to college, and West Moira Orchards on Moira Street makes healthy, local eating simple. Find produce from farms in the area including seasonal fruits and vegetables, cheese and local meats to take back to your kitchen.
7) Quinte Mall Booster Juice, Starbucks, Chapters… So much of what a student needs, and it’s all in one place. Looking for a great outfit or some new notebooks? The Quinte Mall has you covered.
8) Sweet Escape This downtown coffee spot is a quiet retreat when the buzz of campus gets overwhelming. Libraries are cool and all, but sometimes it’s nice to study somewhere that the coffee’s always on! Sweet Escapes has a great selection of sweet treats like butter tarts, lemon squares and fresh muffins when you’re craving mom’s baking. Remember: It’s cash only!
9) Capers Brasserie Looking for a great spot to grab a drink and take in some live music? Capers downtown boasts a heated patio and live entertainment every weekend. Bonus: Their bar bites menu is full of student-friendly prices.
10) Waterfront Trails Itching to get up from your desk and stretch your legs? Belleville is home to a large stretch of Waterfront Trails that will take you along the shores of the Bay of Quinte. You’ll also find yourself in Zwick’s Park and the Meyers Pier area as you follow these trails by foot, bike or maybe even snowshoe in the winter…